Woodlice in the house
Woodlice in the house: What to do and how to get rid of them?
Woodlice is a common household pest in the UK that creates lots of nuisance. Woodlice don’t create any health issues, but its infestation is not good for the environment and it became more difficult to handle. This article will help you to understand woodlice, why they are appearing in your house, as well as how to prevent woodlice from your home.
Woodlice Look like a common bug, the size is small no longer than 15mm, oval-shaped creatures with brown or grey colored skeletons with the protruding antenna.
You find the woodlice commonly in your garden instead of your home. They usually live under the stone and soil. They will enter your home by the case accident, and they don’t live long inside if you maintain your house as dry and warm. But once the woodlice infestation occurs, it’s better to take control measures both inside and outside of your home.
What do Woodlice eat in the house?
Woodlice prefer to eat rotten woods, mildew, and decayed plants outdoor. They get attracted to the damp wood, mold and rotting things inside your home. Even they nibble some seedlings, decays and animal dungs.
Mostly woodlice feed on decomposing plants and wood materials. They are referred to as the recyclers in the insect world. If you have some compost bin then there will the presence of woodlice around your garden or home. In rare cases, only woodlice will feast on your fresh plants and flowers.
In the worst case, they also eat paper as food, including expensive wallpaper. Once the infestation is out of control it will damage all your costly wallpapers and other paper-related things.
If you have more trouble with the woodlice infestation in and around your home, call the professional pest control services near your place. They will provide effective pest control services to control the woodlice infestations from your home and helps to prevent infestations in the future.
Why are there Woodlice in your house?
At your home, if they enter a large number creates an unpleasant nature and it creates a sign of humidity problems. They prefer to live in dark areas, you can find their traffic mostly in the night-time. The woodlice make their way into your house most probably during the summer. Even though they won’t create any harm to your health, but no one likes to see these little critters close to their food or beds.
A woodlouse appears on two types
Pillbugs closely related to the shrimps and they don’t cause many damages rather than eating the plant’s roots. They are often as a pest if it makes entry into a home. Even they enter a large number, they do not bite, sting or transfer disease.
Sowbugs are shaped like a bean. They are not considered pests. They cannot fly and don’t bite or sting. They have many tiny legs and hid under the grey segmented plates.
Both will look grey or black color with the measurement of 12- 15mm and the shell is like a plating. Sowbugs have little tile and pillbug doesn’t have any tiles.
The woodlice are not creating any danger to your health or lifestyle. Even they are not like other pests to transfer diseases. They even don’t get attracted to your food. In some nation’s woodlice are the favorite food of animals and for humans as well. Some of the humans used to eat grilled woodlice.
How to keep away the Woodlice from your house?
Since woodlice are not like other dangerous pests but it doesn’t mean you can breed them in around and home!! Here we provide some of the tips to keep them away from your residence as well as a garden area.
To get rid of woodlice, we advised using a spray, powder or liquids to come in the market for pest prevention. A spray will kill any woodlice in a residential area and powder can helps to clear out the woodlice in the restricted areas.
Follow the tips to get rid of Woodlice
- Remove all the ground slopes if possible from house basement
- Allow the soil to dry
- Vanish all the dead plants and trashes in and around your house
- Check your firewood twice and make sure you are not bringing any woodlice along with the firewoods.
- Seal the cracks in the walls that prevent the entry of woodlice into your house.
- The simplest way to deal a woodlouse is a regular vacuum
- Use anti-insect spray. They are too toxic so, keep away from your kids and pets.
- Using any electronic pulsing device that emits high frequency repels any kind of pests in your residence.
How to prevent Woodlice in the house?
Preventing the woodlice before an infestation takes place is the best option, vacuum up woodlice once you see them inside your house. Once they got settled in a humid area, or you can sense their traffic all over the house then you must take immediate control measures or call pest control experts. Make your house woodlice- unfriendly with the help of following tips and tricks.
Some of the prevention measures
Remember that woodlice don’t create any harmful effects, they just make their entry to prevent themselves from the severe weather.
- Woodlice love rotten wood. So, keep the firewood or wooden store next to the house will decrease the woodlice infestation.
- Spray a pest control spray around entry points and seal any holes you found in and around your house.
- The best option for the prevention method is vacuuming them. The heat and pressure from the vacuum threats them
- Woodlice prefer only the moisture place, so check there is no rotting wood in your home.
- Clear all decayed leaves and debris around your home.
- Try to vanish all the drains and gutters. In the UK gutters are commonplace for pests to build their nests.
- Keep your residential place as warm and dry as possible you can.