Start Your Winter Proofing Routine!
With winter well underway, and Christmas right around the corner, other important jobs around the home can fall to the wayside, such as pest-proofing your home. Winter pests such as rodents, spiders and cockroaches, are moving indoors to get away from the cold, and your home is the perfect place for them to stay.
To avoid any infestations, it’s best to pest proof your home. They can cause serious problems to your family once inside, so it’s crucial to prevent them from getting in the first place. Rodents can cause serious damage to a property, chewing through walls, wiring and furniture. There’s also the potential risk that they can contaminate food, and spread diseases like salmonella. That’s the last thing you want on Christmas Day, finding paw prints in your pudding!
Spiders found in the home pose little risk to our health, but you don’t want your house to be overrun with them. Cockroaches can aggravate allergies and are especially dangerous if they’re in a home with someone who has asthma, as they can trigger attacks. Children are especially at risk.
So to start your pest-proofing today, follow these handy tips to keep the bugs, spiders and rodents away and out of your home.
Here are our top tips:
- Install door sweeps on doors leading to outside, and repair any damage to doors or windows. This is especially prudent for keeping the cold out too!
- Put screens over vents and openings to chimneys, so long as it is safe to do so. That wood-burner is lovely in the winter, but you wouldn’t want it to be a doorway for pests!
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of your home, including any areas where pipes or utilities enter the walls. These are the perfect places for pests to get through.
- Store all food in airtight containers, and take the rubbish out regularly. Also, make sure your bin is sealed, and don’t overfill it.
- Replace any loose tiling or weather stripping around your home, including around windows and doors.
- Eliminate all areas of moisture, like leaky pipes or clogged drains. Cleaning the leaves from your gutter is also a great step to take.
- After you’ve got the decorations out of the loft, just make sure there aren’t any pests lurking in the boxes. If there is, unpack everything outside.
- If you suspect there is an infestation in your home, contact a licenced pest control expert to inspect, identify and eradicate the problem.