How to treat Horse Fly Bite?
Horseflies are considered as the biting animals mostly found in the region of farms and rural areas also among the water bodies near the lake and river. Horseflies bite not only humans but also animals like horses, dogs, coats. That too only a female horse flies bite animals and humans. Horseflies worst than normal house flies, it sucks more than 200mg of human blood in a second.
Horseflies consume more blood compare to other blood-sucking insects like mosquitos and arthropods. After the sucking of blood, that space got clotted by the blood.
Horseflies are huge in number and found only at the hot and sunny times mostly during the daytime with low wind.
Appearance of Horseflies
The look of Horseflies is described in below lines
- Horseflies are appearing in large size
- Horseflies mostly appear in dark color having stipes in its chest
- They have black big bellies
- Horseflies having big compound eyes.
- The upper portion of horse flies is white in color with a combination of black lines.
- The lower abdomen portion is covered by solid black.
How does horse fly bite reaction occur?
Horseflies commonly get attracts to the moving objects and their bites are so painful. Mostly female horse flies are biting species. They bite using its jaw, and it looks like scissors, sometimes it cuts human skin.
The bite causes a burning effect on the skin followed by itchiness and inflammation.
Identifying a horse fly bite
Horsefly bites are more painful, and healing is not a simple process like other pest’s bite. Here we listed the methods of horseflies usually used to bite.
- Horseflies even cut your skin or make a small hole in the biting place.
- The mouth and jaw of horse flies look like a scissor that cuts your skin
- It has a hook-like part in the mouth that helps to suck blood easily from the human body.
The horsefly bite appears like a red patch in the skin and its surrounding area also appears red.
The itchiness and red patches help to identify the horsefly bites.
Also, watch out for the spreading of red patches on the skin and check for if any discharge comes from the wound.
Swelling and pain also the indication of infection. Once the bite got infected, swelling and discharge will come after a day of bite.
Apart from the pain Horse flies does not create any harmful diseases to humans, only a mild fever occurs due to the pain of the bite.
The bites create a problem only for the horses, it carries infectious anemia and swamp fever. Once they bite the equine animal, it results in the transmission of threatening disease.
The infected horses experience general fever and illness.
Symptoms of horse fly bite
Common symptoms of horsefly bite arise in humans.
The signs and indications slightly vary from the other signs of pest infestation.
- It causes wheezing and breathing problem
- It causes dizziness
- Swelling skin
These are the common symptoms and severe allergies are too rare. People should seek medical help if the symptoms are severe
- Diarrhea and vomiting
- Tongue soreness and throat swelling
- Feeling fatigued and unwell
- Swollen face
Many pest Exterminators suggest taking immediate medical treatment to avoid any future reactions
How to prevent horse fly bite?
Horseflies are mostly coming in summer and spread widely in all areas. To get escape from the risk of horsefly bite, there are some practices to follow
- Use proper shoes, long pants, and full-sleeved shirts to reduce the chance of a bite
- Horseflies easily attract to the dark color, so avoid the usage of dark colors and use light color dresses.
- Try to avoid walking on a long-grassed field
- Don’t use any perfumed products that easily attracts the flies.
- Horseflies are water breeds, so stay one step back from water bodies.
Visit a doctor and take proper medical follow-ups, if a horsefly bite turns into an infection. They may prescribe some antibiotics that help to treat horsefly bite. Other than the medical help here we listed some home remedies for horsefly bite.
Home remedies to treat horsefly bite
- First don’t scratch the wound, it gets worse and increases the more risk for infection.
- Use plain water or mild soap water to clean the bitten area
- Use ice cubes to rub the skin to reduce the swelling
Hire the best pest removal service to control horse flies infestation in your place.