How to get rid of caterpillars?
Caterpillars are easily identified by their body structure. It looks similar to the larvae form of butteries and sizes get varies from different spices. Caterpillars are a big disturbance to the gardening. It vastly affects the plants and trees. Caterpillars are mostly present in the warm season. If your trees and plants are struggling to grow normally because of caterpillar infestation, then take necessary measurements to get rid of caterpillars from your gardens. Here we described both the natural and chemical way of caterpillar control. First try out the natural way of control measures, if that doesn’t give effective results then move on to the using chemical remedies for getting rid of caterpillars. Contact pest control to reduce the caterpillars from your garden.
After the plantation of fruits and vegetables to your garden, take a precautionary step to control the caterpillars to keep away them from your plants to enjoy the fruitfulness. Once the gardener forgot to prevent the caterpillars that will reflect on the outcome of veggies and fruits. The crops are severely damaged by the caterpillars in huge numbers.
Thinking of how to get rid of caterpillars from your garden? There are different ways to prevent the caterpillar entry to your garden. But before taking the prevention step you must know the types of caterpillars and how they affect your crops. First, identify the caterpillars and then take control measures to get rid of them.
How to identify caterpillars?
Caterpillars are present in different shapes and colors. Some of them appear in small, some are appearing in large size, and some look like a hairy worm. If you can’t able to find the caterpillars check the leaves of plants, if there is an appearance of any holes then conform there is the presence of caterpillar infestation in your garden.
- Caterpillars are commonly found in the larvae shaped but the color varies. The caterpillars are mostly living in the branches of trees. If you found any nest on the branches, try to remove and burn it immediately.
- The good thing is the caterpillars are safe to humans, it won’t bite the humans, but anyway, try to stay away from caterpillars for safeness.
- Green caterpillar
- Black caterpillar
- Yellow caterpillar
- Sawfly caterpillars
- Processionary caterpillars
Let’s see how to get rid of caterpillars in different ways!!
How to kill caterpillars?
If you planning to kill the caterpillars without affecting the plants, then try some natural remedies. First, try to stop the caterpillars to build a nest in your garden areas. So before planting the trees, take a cardboard sheet and make a bridge to protect the plants from the caterpillars. This helps to keep the caterpillar away from the garden place. Now your plants grow without any disturbance.
Next to the carboard, the early treatment of caterpillar and other pest is to make your garden soil well fertilized to fight with caterpillars. This also helps to prevent the caterpillar infestation.
Some gardeners spending their time by picking the caterpillars by hand, but this is not an advisable one. If you pick some amount of caterpillar out of your garden on that same day, you can see the same number of caterpillars crawling around your plants. So, this is method is inefficient. Here we shared effective control measures of caterpillars in both natural and chemical ways. Check it out!!
How to Control caterpillars naturally?
Method 1: Bacillus Thuringiensis var Kirstie ( BTK)
BTK is the kind of natural bacteria, occurs on the decaying materials. These bacteria are good for killing the caterpillar by affecting the digestive system of caterpillars. This harm to humans and pets.
- Apply BTK to the affected leaves at the night-time, by following the instructions mentioned on the BTK pack. Repeat it twice for the best results.
- First, apply at the stage of caterpillar laying eggs and second time apply it when the caterpillar is small.
- You can get the caterpillar pesticide on all commercial and garden stores. Mostly it comes in the form of powdery, you can mix this with water and spray it on infested plants.
Method 2: Invite more birds
Birds are the best way to control caterpillars naturally. This is the master’s idea to get rid of caterpillars from your garden area. Place a bird’s nest, bird feeders, and water to inviting birds to your garden.
- Birds kill caterpillars instantly by eating the caterpillars.
- chickens also help to get rid of caterpillars from your garden.
- Try to invite more birds, keep in mind that birds do not bring any damage to your crops.
Method 3: Wrap the tree with Burlap
If you have a caterpillar problem in your tree, then wrap the tree side with burlap to get rid of caterpillars naturally from the trees. This method is the best option for moth caterpillars.
How to Control caterpillars using chemical sprays?
Method 1: Drown caterpillar to soapy water
Caterpillar has allergies to the soapy water. Pick the caterpillar from the plants and put them directly to the bucket having soapy water.
- Mix a soapy water and dish soap into the bucket.
- Pick the caterpillars and put them into the water
- Don’t forget to wear gloves while picking the caterpillars.
Method 2: Use insecticidal spay
Buy insecticidal spray from the commercial shops. When soapy water doesn’t works go for an insecticidal spray to kill the caterpillars. Make sure the spray doesn’t bring any harm to the plants.
- Apply the spray directly to the gardens, leave it for some time and note how the caterpillars die
- Use the spray for the second time, if you need it.
Method 3: Use pesticide
Purchase garden pesticides to protect your plants and crops from the caterpillars.
Pesticides are the best option to kill the caterpillars instantly and destroy the eggs and larvae.
But this is not an advisable method to use the pesticide for gardens, which may affect the vegetables and fruits.
In case of emergency use the green pesticide with the advice of pest control experts.