How to get rid of carpet beetles?
Carpet beetles are small creatures and sometimes invisible to our eyes, they are just like a thread along with carpets or any clothing. Once they make an entry that causes damage to your fabric furniture, clothes, carpets and other natural items made from woolen fibers. Carpet Beetles not just get attracted to carpets and rugs, it causes damage to all organic fabrics.
Types of Carpet beetles
There are five types of carpet beetles that cause damages for valuable household properties and also public things.
- Anthrenus verbasci- Varied carpet beetle,
Varied carpet beetle doesn’t have any separate option, it eats almost all categories.
- Attagenus pellio- Fur (carpet) beetle,
Carpet beetle that gets attracted to the Fur things
- Anthrenus flavipes- Furniture carpet beetle,
Furniture carpet beetle prefers to attract furniture made from natural fabrics like sofa, bed, pillows, etc
- Dermestes maculatus- Leather carpet beetle,
Leather carpet beetle get attracted the leather products like handbags, shoes, belts, etc
- Attagenus unicolor- Black carpet beetle,
You can spot the black carpet beetle mostly on the dry food items and other stored household things.
These are some of the species of carpet beetles, the names come from the material they would eat
Where do Carpet Beetles come from?
Once carpet beetles arrive it can cause heavy damage to carpets and other fabrics. The damages are mostly not a repairable one. The adult beetles are tiny and dark brown. They appear to a hairy like substances and you can spot them on your carpets, natural fabrics and even in dried food.
Mostly the carpet beetles prefer to live outdoor. They easily get attracts to the light, so they may fly into your home in small cracks or by open doors. Chimneys and other electric vent make an entry point to carpet beetles and for another pest.
Carpet beetles infest your indoor not only for carpet they get attracted to different variety of household products. They attack the common household things like carpets, rugs, and other woolen things. In some cases, fur and dry food items seek the attraction of carpet beetles. If you let your indoor plant’s flowers then this may also act as the food source for carpet beetles and some of the species like black carpet beetles get eats stacked all-purpose flour and meals.
How to kill Carpet Beetles?
Once you have confirmed that carpet beetles rolling around on your carpet or other household things, it’s a time to take immediate necessary action. Carpet beetles never cause any disease and don’t carry any infections, but they are big eaters like a devil and a rapid breeder. So, once they get into any natural fibers, curtains or carpets, they destroy them entirely if you did take any timely actions
Here are some tips that help to kill Carpet Beetles and to prevent your household things from the future infestations
- To treat the carpet beetles, you can take the first measure as removing the beetle’s eggs and larva to decrease the growth of adults.
- Vacuum the areas affected by the beetles including carpets, rugs, and furniture.
- Your next step is steam cleaning, here you going to clean the same area you vacuumed with a steam cleaner. The heat eliminates the remaining beetles and eggs.
- Dry cleaning is another best way to kill Carpet Beetles. So utilize laundry service as a routine. Always use warm water to washcloths and linens. Another better option rather then washing is to dispose of the infested cloths.
- Wiping the spotted or all surfaces with white vinegar helps to kill the carpet beetles. Mix a small amount of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar with water and spray it to shelves, wardrobe, carpets, woolen things and hangers. Do it regularly to prevent an infestation in the future.
- Sprinkle some quantity of boric acid on carpets, and furniture will kill the beetles if any remains. Leave the boric acid on the carpets for one hour and then vacuum the residue.
- Get the pest control sprays from the retailer shop and use it around your home including basement areas, under kitchen sinks, woolen things, pillows and other crevices where you find the traffic of beetles. The spray is not a good option to use on furniture and other carpeting works.
How to prevent Carpet beetle infestation
The routine cleaning process helps to keep the carpet beetles away from your home. vacuuming your floor as routine, remove all your trash daily, washing all your clothes with hot water are the common tips to get rid of beetles without using any chemical agents. Another tip to prevent the carpet infestation is to block or seal the entry point.
- After the removal of carpet beetles from your home, other steps must be taken to prevent future infestation.
- Keeping away the food source of carpet beetles, regular vacuuming and spraying of vinegar and boric acid will prevent beetles from returning. They mostly target stored clothing and fabrics so keep some mothballs or add some essential perfume on your storage place will help to keep away the beetles.
- Better to use a plastic container for storing the clothing
- Carpet beetles like to live in a dark place, so keep your doors and windows open.
- Use insecticide for carpet beetles around your house and spray the pesticides that prevent the beetle’s entry into your house on the outdoor side from two to three feet of your house.
- Make sure there is no entry point from windows, doors, and pipes.
- Remove if you found any nest around your house because nests help beetles to lay eggs and they easily move into your house.
- Immediately repair the cracks on the window side or doors, they may enter even by a small hole.
How to get rid of Carpet Beetles in the UK?
Here we listed some tips to get rid of carpet beetles
- Get one handy vacuum cleaner and vacuum regularly that covers all your surfaces.
- Dispose of if you found any damaged items immediately.
- Try to wash all your clothes at a hot temperature.
- Hire some professionals for pressure water cleaning or steam cleaning.
- Don’t keep any infested food in your kitchen.
- If you found any untreated damaged things discard it.
- Beetles get attracted to the natural woolen fabric so, here we advise changing the natural fabrics into synthetic material
- Use boric acid or any pesticide spray as a precaution measure to deal with the carpet beetles.
Usually, pest removal is a difficult task if you are doing the control process on your own. Treating a carpet beetle also the same and your treatments always don’t give an effective result. Calling a professional pest Exterminators will sort out all the problems and make your place free from any kind of pests.