Cockroaches: How Do I Know If I’ve Got Them?
Let’s be honest about it, cockroaches are horrid pests that can cause no end of frustration and disgust in most homeowners. If you have dealt with them even once, you know the potential horror of the situation. The sooner you identify if you have a cockroach problem, the easier it is to deal with it. So without further ado, let’s flag up what the easiest signs to look for are when it comes to cockroaches.
- Actually seeing a cockroach: Yes, this sounds silly, but it needs to be addressed. These insects tend to be most active during the night, so the best way to catch them in action is to turn on your lights randomly at night and see if you can spot one hurrying away in a panic. Definitely not a fun way to identify their presence, but it’ll confirm your suspicions.
- Seeing droppings: Like other pests, it can be hard to find their droppings if you are not sure exactly what you are looking for, but you will definitely find faeces from these pests in your home if you have an infestation, normally close to walls and on window sills (well-known transportation routes of cockroaches). They’ll be small – less than 2mm in size, so look carefully.
- Egg and skin casings: It’s gross to think about, but cockroaches leave casings of skin and eggs, so take a look in those dark corners and see if you find these for yourself. You’ll probably know it if you see them but check online if you need a guide to help you out.
- Grease/smear marks: If there is plenty of water around, you’ll see actual trails of the cockroaches as they move around your property and make themselves at home. The trails are easily recognisable, and you will know right away if you have an infestation.
- Odour: Yes, these guys are stinky. You’ll know you have an infestation if you start to smell something musty with no other explanation. This will tell you-you’ve got an infestation that needs to be looked at. You can’t mistake the smell for anything else, that’s for sure.
These tips should help you get on the right track when it comes to cockroach detection. And even though scientists are now saying that cockroaches have individual personalities, no one wants to have one scuttling around the house, let alone finding there is a whole colony, so these signs will give you things to watch for in good time.