Benefits of using natural pest repellants
The presence of mosquitos and bedbugs at your home can be quite a nuisance. They wait till dusk to torment you all night; their buzzing noises, their itchy bites, not to mention the diseases they transmit. Good thing is that there are different remedies of keeping pests away; acquiring a natural pest repellant remains the most effective way to keep pests away from your home.
The following are the benefits of using natural pest repellents.
They are chemical-free;
Natural pest repellents don’t contain DEET (N, N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide); this ingredient is toxic to the nervous system because it interferes with the normal breakdown of acetylcholine, which is the most common neurotransmitter in the central nervous system.
To avoid this risk, choose natural insect repellents because they don’t contain this harmful ingredient.
Good for your skin
The majority of natural pest repellents contain petroleum and other chemicals that may cause skin inflammations and allergic reactions.
People with sensitive skin should therefore not worry knowing that natural repellents do not contain synthetic chemicals that may damage their skin as they are free of harmful chemicals.
Useful to your body
Natural repellents contain essential oils such as cedar oil, eucalyptus lemon, lavender rosemary etc. which help to permit oil which can improve concentration and relax body muscles.
Most natural pest repellants contain aromatic oils that give off a pleasant smell. When used in the bedroom they create a comforting environment that promotes a restful night sleep. Lavender, for example, has been used for ages to reduce anxiety and agitation.
The scent slows down the nervous system which helps your body relax and prepare it for a good night’s sleep.
Natural pest repellents last longer on the skin because they are water-based, not alcohol-based. And since water is less volatile on the skin it remains on the skin for a longer period duration of time.
Non-chemical ways to keep pests away
- Keep your environment clean. Get rid of holes as they can attract spiders and wipe surfaces where food has been, using a natural cleaning product, this will keep your house clean.
- Remove any breeding grounds, they create a perfect area for pests to multiply
- Use peppermint oil, mix peppermint oil and water to create a solution spray around areas where you have seen pests.
- Use cucumber, placing cucumber slices near entrances will keep away ants.
- Cinnamon can keep away bugs from entering your house, sprinkle in the area were pests are breeding.
- White vinegar is a perfect solution for pests that leave a trail and alert other pests as it destroys the chemical trail.
- Plant herbs such as citronella lemongrass or cedar near your home will repel them from entering your home.
- Citrus peels keep pests like spiders and ants away. Rub the peels on any problem areas you have.
- Apply eucalyptus oil to a small cloth and leave it in breeding ground
Other useful precautions
- Avoid using scented soaps and perfumes as they can attract some pests
- Avoid colorful clothes as they attract pests.